Frequently Asked Questions
See the answer to some frequently asked questions below.
While BKE doesn’t do tax prep internally, we do work with some exceptional CPA partners – and can arrange for your taxes to be done for you at a great price (and that your books are in-line with our CPA partners’ standards).
If you prefer to use your own CPA, we will ensure your books are accurately updated throughout the year so they’re ready to be passed on to your tax preparer.
Contrary to popular belief, accountants and bookkeepers perform distinctly different tasks for the businesses they serve. Bookkeepers are responsible for on-going maintenance of their clients’ general ledgers. A bookkeeper’s common responsibilities consist of:
Compiling data on a daily basis
Categorizing expenses in the general ledger
Reviewing the general ledger for accuracy
Reconciling bank statements against the general ledger
Generating financial statements
Accountants use the accurate and up-to-date general ledger maintained by the bookkeeper to provide advisory services, such as:
Analyzing the company’s financial data
Preparing income tax returns
Providing tax planning advice
BKE provides the following services:
- Money-in/revenue reconciliation – Recording deposits, matching payments to accounts receivable, cashflow management
- Expense management – Expenses categorization, accounts payable, receipt and mileage tracking
- Bill payment – Online bill payment, document storage
- Payroll services – Payroll software setup, reconciliation
- Financial reporting – Producing/reviewing financial statements from GL (i.e. Income Statement, Balance Sheet)
BKE serves small and medium-sized businesses of all kinds, but we are best known for our expertise in these four industries:
- Professional services – Real estate agents, insurance agents, financial advisors and more
- Home service contractors – HVAC technicians, plumbers, electricians, painters and more
- Health and wellness – Gyms, salons, spas, dentists and more
- Restaurants – Quick-service restaurants, fine dining restaurants, coffee shops, caterers, specialty food providers and more
BKE charges a flat monthly fee based on your needs and requirements.
Visit our pricing page to see more by industry.
Small businesses no longer need to work with a local bookkeeper. The internet and cloud technology makes it easy for bookkeepers to securely access their clients books anytime, anywhere. Business owners can now select a bookkeeper who truly understands their industry and operations, instead of hiring the local, community bookkeeper by default.
BKE’s bookkeepers serve all U.S time zones and are easily accessible.
BKE employs a team of financial specialists all based in our US offices. We are experts in the latest cloud technology and the operations of restaurants, home service contractors, service professionals, health and wellness and other business types.
BKE specializes in accounting and bookkeeping services for multi-unit businesses and franchises. We can manage the books for each individual location and give you insight into your business’s overall financial performance. Visit our multi-unit businesses and franchises page to learn more.
Yes, bill pay is one of the many services BKE offers.